Thursday 22 May 2008

marsh fritillary

Another species on my wish list for this spring was marsh fritillary.

Every time I seem to visit this site it clouds over and the insects stop flying. I leave and the sun appears. When I arrived, the sun had disappeared, so I sat and waited. Still no action, so it was time for early lunch, or was it second breakfast?

After an hour the sun appeared and within a minute the first fritillary made a short low flight. after a few minutes something at least 12 were on the wing, some were quite obliging for the camera.


water avens








marsh fritillary

Couldn't find any dingy skippers or singing nightingales, but the fritillaries alone were well worth the effort.

Apparently a unofficial release several years ago, the colony appears to be established. As long as they came from the closest suitable subpopulation, I have no problem with this at all. Local distinctiveness should be followed if possible in all such introductions, I believe.

No comments: