Monday 14 May 2007

Spillkraka no show


wood anemones are abundent all around gothenburg, sweden


Kattugla being mobbed

During a work-related trip to gothenburg, sweden, I managed to make a trip to one of my favourite local sites - an old beech woodland. The mighty spillkraka nests here, but at this time of the year, keeps unusually quiet and without knowing which of the multitude of large cavities they are nesting in, a sighting of the big black woodpecker is difficult. This site never disappoints, however and I was richly rewarded with several Hawfinch feeding from beechmast on the woodland floor while woodwarblers spun off their song from the canopy.

Sorry, no respectable photos of the Hawfinch possible with the FZ7, but after some crafty stalking, I did manage a shot of a Tawny Owl being mobbed. The woodland floor was well populated with voles and mice, but the Pygmy Owl call I heard was probably a Jay trying to fool me. Calling back did not produce the reaction from Pygmy Owl I have found in the past.

No comments: